• ^NDX4413.52-24.66 - -0.56%
  • ^FTSE6348.42+3.29 - +0.05%
  • ^AORD5286.20-0.30 - -0.01%
  • ^AXJO5249.30+1.00 - +0.02%
  • AUDUSD=X0.7226
  • USDJPY=X119.8600
  • WP Stock Ticker
41Ce3nZb0CL._SL75_

Todays Employees Seek Greater Blend Of Work And Life

Thirty-seven percent of workers want limitations on working beyond business hours, 23 percent want encouragement from their employer to use vacation time and 17 percent want limitations on e-mail communications after hours. o Personal realization and … Continue reading at fwbusiness.com

Start up your future: Teaching for today’s entrepreneurial business culture

(BPT) – Every year Christine Rainwater asks her Washington, D.C.-based undergraduate business students the same question on their first day of class: are any of you interested in starting a business? "Ten years ago, I would only get two or three students … Continue reading at thegraphic.org

Today's 30-year-olds less likely to be married, own a home

That gave me a lot more autonomy ..." Willis, of Hamilton, and her fianc? just bought a home and she says they are focused right now on starting their own business, not having children. "It's a seismic shift in how a generation is entering adulthood … Continue reading at journal-news.com

Business Management

Today's Top Supply Chain and Logistics News From WSJ

In a freight business that may be moving toward driverless trucks, does a train need a two-man crew? The question has become one of the most contentious issues in the rail industry as the business wrestles with the impact of technology on operations … Continue reading at wsj.com

IHS Stockholders and Markit Shareholders Approve Proposals Related to the Merger; Merger Expected to Close July 12

IHS is a leading source of insight, analytics and expertise in critical areas that shape todays business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 140 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and … Continue reading at itbusinessnet.com

The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
Getting an MBA is an expensive choice-one almost impossible to justify regardless of the state of the economy. Even the elite scho…

Financial and Business Management for the Doctor of Nursing Practice
Awarded second place in the 2013 AJN Book of the Year Awards in the Advanced Practice Nursing category “Finally, a definitive fina…

Small Business Management: Entrepreneurship and Beyond
SMALL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT provides a balanced introduction to both entrepreneurship and small business management, with a focus on…

Business Management

How data centre managers can match today’s business pace: Schneider Electric

Photo – Chan Jian Wen, Business Director, IT Business Malaysia, Schneider Electric. Schneider Electric’s latest version of its Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) suite will help data centre managers cope with the increasing speed of business … Continue reading at mis-asia.com

Full stop to legislature session?

The only other important official business left is getting approval for the Appropriation Bill. Leader of the Opposition Jagadish Shettar said the Bills were added to the day's agenda only after realising the Opposition was in no mood to relent. Continue reading at thehindu.com

Watch Paramore's 'Misery Business' as Sung by 155 Movies

Paramore's 2007 hit "Misery Business" has been recreated using 155 movie clips by YouTube user The Usual Suspect. Related: Hayley Williams Appears in Chvrches' Animated 'Bury It' Video The video features clips from Risky Business, The Matrix … Continue reading at todays1019.cbslocal.com

Today's horoscopes – Sunday, July 17

VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22). You're still not sure what to think about a person, so this is no time to get deeper into a relationship, be it business or pleasure. Keep it cordial, ask more questions, investigate and observe. LIBRA (Sept. 23-Oct. 23). Continue reading at statesman.com

The Worth of the 'Ghostbusters' Business, Remembering Abbas Kiarostami, and More: Today's Recommended Reading

Bizdaq took a hypothetical very seriously and calculated how much the Ghostbusters business would be worth if one were to buy it today (adjusted for inflation from 1984). For starters: When it comes to valuing ghost-busting businesses, the first thing we … Continue reading at flavorwire.com

* The economy may be feeling cold, but the energy was heating up at a recent BMCC job fair held in Richard Harris Terrace. At the Fall 2009 Job Expo, students and alumni--decked out in professional attire, resumes in hand--were eager to meet prospective employees from more than 50 companies.

The Job Expo was a collaboration between BMCC’s Center for Career Development and the Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP). Those in attendance were BMCC students and alumni seeking part-time and full-time jobs and internships.

More than 500 students attended the Job Expo, walking from booth to booth to learn more about various career opportunities while picking up some giveaways.

Because BMCC offers classes seven days a week, in Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx, many students balance a job with their academics. Those who don’t are oftentimes seeking employment in this tough economy, which led to this years large, positive turnout at the Job Expo.

Prospective Employees, “Have To Be Friendly”
Some of the companies represented at the Job Expo included WB Mason Co., Inc., Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions, Avon, The New York Police Department, Macy’s, GAP Inc., Victoria’s Secret, TD Bank and many more.

“At the last BMCC Job Expo I hired several students as sales associates,” says Roshelle Robertson, a recruiter for Macy’s department stores in Brooklyn, who set up her booth just outside the BMCC cafeteria. “Prospective employees have to be friendly and not afraid to talk to customers.”

Robertson said that Macy’s flexible hours make it a great place for students to work while attending classes at BMCC. In fact, some Macy’s employees work just on weekends, leaving weekdays open for their academics.

According to Robertson, an attractive resume is one that is clear, detailed and to-the-point. “The more I know about you from your resume, the more likely I am to hire you,” she said.

Students Have Stand-Out Resumes
Edward Campbell, a BMCC accounting major, heard about the Job Expo from a professor and decided to check it out. “I spoke with a few companies so far,” he said. “Everyone was very informative and helpful.”

Campbell believes his knowledge of finance and accounting, makes him an ideal candidate for a job in the financial sector.

Liberal Arts major Nikolay Kabanov was hoping to speak with companies who shared his passion for ‘green’ jobs. “I created a ‘green’ club in my high school and I speak English, Russian, German and Spanish,” he said. “I think that helps me stand out in the job market.”

Some of the companies in attendance at the Expo currently employ BMCC students. “We have some BMCC students working with us right now,” said Charlie Coe, a recruiter for Quality Services for the Autism Community (QSAC), an organization that helps individuals with an autism spectrum disorder. “We’re looking for educated, kind people to work for us.”

Job Expo, “A Collaborative Effort”
Before students even entered the Expo, representatives from BMCC’s Center for Career Development reviewed their resumes and made sure they were dressed professionally.

Many of our students were offered interviews,” said Driada Rivas, Career Development Coordinator for the Center for Career Development. “It is fantastic to see our students grow and succeed.

BMCCs Center for Career Development operates and oversees informative programs about job hunting and resume construction throughout the year.

“This Expo was truly a collaborative event between ASAP and Career Services,” said Michael Stahl, Employment Specialist for BMCC’s ASAP program. “We take records on how many students get jobs from these on-campus job fairs, and many of them do,” he said. “Career Development worked very hard to prepare these students for this fair.”

In fact, last year, according to Stahl, clothing company Abercrombie & Fitch set up a booth at the Expo and hired 50 BMCC students to work in their stores.

“All the companies here today are hiring in today’s economy, and we have great students here today who will make great employees,” he said.

Business Management

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Stock Market News
Tags: , , , , , ,
Previous Post
41xK1ZbyevL._SL75_
Large Cap

Stock Market Today: Stocks Slump on Crude Oil Weakness

Next Post

Citigroup, Wells Fargo Report Earnings – Recap

Comments

• DiscoverDior-Public Speaking
    • July 16, 2016

It was a great turnout…Thanks to all students that came to this event…..

View Comment
%d bloggers like this: